201 South Ohio Street, Sidney, Ohio 45365
Catering Phone: 937-492-0298 / E-Mail:
The Spot Catering
Phone: 937-492-9181 / Fax: 937-498-9899 / E-Mail:
The Spot Restaurant
The Spot History
of The Spot
The Spot Restaurant made its beginnings from a man named
Spot Miller. In 1907, Spot brought
his chuckwagon into town and set-up business at the corner of Court Street and Ohio
Avenue. The city would not allow him to sell meals this way.
His solution was to remove the wheels, and add some
awnings to create a permanent structure.
Spot Miller owned the restaurant until his retirement in 1913.
Joe Cook and Homer Spence purchased the restaurant for $5,000. It then became known as Cooks
Spot. Spence sold his interest in the restaurant to
Anderson in 1915, and together they started a chain of "Spot to
Eat" restaurants in Athens, Urbana,
Lima, and Bellefontaine, Ohio. Only the Sidney
Spot continues to operate. One of the specials from the 1920s lists "28 burgers
for $1.00"! In 1946, Anderson got out of the business and on July 1, 1950
Robert Hepler became the new
owner. Under Hepler, the restaurant grew to include catering and steak sales, which
continue to this day. On February 1, 1980, Robert and
Barbara Eilert became the new owners of the
Spot. The restaurant and catering business continued to grow under their
ownership including exclusive catering rights at The Oaks Club banquet facility
at Shelby Oaks Golf Course, and a new catering kitchen being constructed at 207
S. Ohio Avenue. On January 1, 1999, Barry Eilert and
Michael Jannides became the new owners of The Spot Restaurant.
On May 1, 2002, Michael Jannides became the sole owner of The Spot Restaurant.
The Chuckwagon was the restaurant between 1907 and 1934. In 1934, a more permanent
building was erected at the Court and Ohio location. That structure was destroyed by a
fire on New Years Eve in 1940. After its remodeling in 1941, the current facility is
a fine example of the streamlined Art Moderne architectural style with its
smooth, unornamented wall surface faced with gleaming white porcelain tile. A
mid-century modern neon sign still hanging over the front door is still the Spot
trademark. The inside of the restaurant has been remodeled approximately 25 times over the
years. The last major renovation occurred in 1976 giving the restaurant its current
layout. The restaurant has been featured on the cover of the March 1994 issue of Ohio
Magazine, and by Ann Heller, food critic of the Dayton Daily News, in their Go!
Section on September 27, 1996.
| Menu |
| Comments |
President Bush |